Our technology appraisal recommendations are prepared by an independent advisory committee. This is called the technology appraisal committee (TAC).
Members are appointed for a 3-year term, and are drawn from:
- the NHS
- patient and carer organisations
- pharmaceutical and medical devices industries.
The committee is divided into 4 branches. Committee members are allocated to a branch and will normally remain in the same one for the duration of their membership.
Although the committee seeks the views of organisations representing health professionals, patients, carers, manufacturers and government, its advice is independent of any vested interests.
Consultees and commentators
Consultee organisations include:
- national groups representing patients and carers
- bodies representing health professionals
- manufacturers or sponsors of the technology in development
- the Department of Health
- the Welsh Assembly Government
- specialised commissioning groups
- primary care trusts and local health boards.
Consultees can submit evidence during the appraisal, comment on the appraisal documents and appeal against the appraisal committee's final recommendations. In addition, consultee organisations (with the exception of manufacturers) are asked to nominate patient experts or clinical specialists.
Commentator organisations include:
- manufacturers of comparator technologies
- NHS Quality Improvement Scotland
- the relevant National Collaborating Centre (a group commissioned by NICE to develop clinical guidelines), if relevant
- research groups working in the area
- other groups, including:
- NHS Confederation
- NHS Purchasing and Supplies Agency
- British National Formulary
- Scottish Medicines Consortium
- Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
- Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety for Northern Ireland
- professional or patient organisations covering Wales only.
We invite commentators to take part in the appraisal process and comment on the various documents produced. Commentators cannot appeal against the final appraisal determination.
Meet the committee
Find out about the TAC committee members:
Next meeting dates
There are 4 TAC committees (A, B, C, and D). Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all our technology appraisal advisory committee meetings are currently being held virtually.
- Tuesday 1 August 2023
- Tuesday 5 September 2023
- Tuesday 3 October 2023
- Tuesday 7 November 2023
- Tuesday 5 December 2023.
- Wednesday 2 August 2023
- Wednesday 6 September 2023
- Wednesday 4 October 2023
- Wednesday 8 November 2023
- Wednesday 6 December 2023.
- Tuesday 08 August 2023
- Tuesday 12 September 2023
- Tuesday 10 October 2023
- Tuesday 14 November 2023
- Tuesday 12 December 2023.
- Thursday 10 August 2023
- Wednesday 13 September 2023
- Thursday 12 October 2023
- Thursday 16 November 2023
- Thursday 14 December 2023.