Our tool to help you plan for and implement NICE guidance. Use it to:
- View upcoming NICE guidance including proposed consultation dates.
- Understand the resource implications (both financial and capacity impacts) of forthcoming and published guidance.
- Search for the type of guidance and specialty/disease area of interest to you.
The latest edition was published on Wednesday 06 September 2023. The next edition will publish on Wednesday 04 October 2023.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or would like to attend training on using our resource impact planner or tools, please email email@example.com.
How the planner can help you
View upcoming guidance
The resource planner lists all guidance that is due to publish and provides details of the publication date and provisional consultation dates when known.
There are now 2 worksheets, one for technology appraisals and highly specialised technologies, the other for all other types of guidance. You can use the following filters to find guidance that is relevant to you:
- guidance type
- specialty and disease area
- potential resource impact – both financial and capacity impact
- providers and commissioners.
Guidance development information
The planner links to the latest guidance development documents for detailed information on topics being developed.
Planning for the future, a resource impact case study
We talk to Mohammed Asghar, prescribing governance lead at Frimley Health and Care Integrated Care System and Carolyn Craven, prescribing support pharmacist at Cheshire and Merseyside Health and Care Partnership. Mohammed and Carolyn discuss our resource planning tools. They explain how they use them to help their local health and care system prepare, assessing the local impact of putting our guidance into practice.
Resource impact estimates
We estimate the potential costs or savings associated with implementing upcoming guidance and highlight any areas where health and social care capacity may be impacted.
Technology appraisal funding
The NHS is legally obliged to fund and resource medicines and treatments recommended by our technology appraisal guidance.
Stay up to date with potential costs and savings that result from our appraisals.
Understand the resource impact of published guidance
Capacity area impacted
Where possible, we estimate any capacity areas impacted as a result of implementing guidance. This allows organisation to accurately plan for the wider impact of the guidance as well as the purely financial impact.
Tools to help you implement guidance
The planner links to our full resource impact reports and templates. These allow you to accurately assess the local resource impact of guidance.
Resource impact categories
Potential costs and savings are assessed into the following categories:
- Cost saving: anticipated net cost is less than £0.
- Not significant: anticipated net cost is less than £5 million for technology appraisals or £1m for other types of guidance.
- Low cost: anticipated net cost is between £5 million and £15 million for technology appraisals or between £1 million and £15 million for other types of guidance.
- High cost: anticipated net cost is greater than £15 million.
The assessment is based on the best information known at the time.